Those who need a new laptop computer this year are in good position. There are multiple solid options available, and the state of personal computing technology in general has evolved to the point that it is possible to get really high quality in reasonable prices. Here are some of what I personally consider as best options right now:
- For home use: Lenovo Yoga C930: the most recent of the versatile Yoga line. The screen, keyboard and specs are nicely balanced for home / light work use.
- For a gamer: Omen by HP 15-dc0010no model: a six-core i7 CPU, 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 Gb GPU, 144Hz 15,6″ FHD IPS display.
- For the looks: Huawei MateBook X Pro: this is the “MacBook Pro for PC users”. Very beautiful, thin, light device with very good 3000×2000 LTPS touch screen, and “good enough” keyboard.
- For a mobile professional: HP Elitebook x360 1030 G3 with LTE. The 4G connectivity is a must for anyone constantly on the go. This model also has interesting security tech, like the integrated SureView privacy screen.
- Strongest contender for Elitebook currently is Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen: both Elitebooks and high-end Thinkpads have probably the best currently available laptop keyboards, which is crucial for most writing professionals.
- If one needs a larger, 15 inch screen in strong work laptop, then I would go for Dell XPS 15 Touch: it has an “InfinityEdge” IPS display with very narrow bezels (minimizing the device bulk), and also a 1050 Ti GPU, which is good for work and some light-to-medium gaming.
Merry Christmas – to all who’ll get a PC gift, and everyone else, as well!